3/16/12

#

Grabner: Perhaps that is why I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the necessity for creating a studio scenario built on situational boredom. I am finding confidence in David Foster Wallace’s belief in boredom as a necessary human condition. Of course I am not talking about the crippling, existential kind, but boredom that recontours our relationship to time and social networking, a condition absent of distraction, or as Dave Hickey puts it, absent of static. I am interested in how ideas emerge, grow, and sustain themselves within this condition. Positive boredom is contentment. I am positively content in the studio but endlessly unnerved and anxious in my other work.

~Taken from Barry Schwabsky's awesome interview with Michelle Grabner in The Brooklyn Rail.
~you need to read it.

No comments: